This week I have been craving pie… no specific kind.. just pie!
It may have been due to the fact that I cannot stop watch The Great British Bake Off and it was pie week. Although theirs looked a little more professional than mine could ever look, I thought I would give it a go. I’m still drooling over their recipes and I love how easily available they make their recipes at http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?programmes=b013pqnm… especially the rhubarb and custard tart. YUM!!
As far as pie crust, I have found a great recipe originally created by The Country Cook called the Wham Bam Pie Crust at http://www.thecountrycook.net/2012/09/wham-bam-pie-crust.html. It has only 4 ingredients and the best part is that it requires absolutely not rolling or stretching like a tradition crust. It is perfect for a quick and easy pie base!
Since I had figured out the crust, I still had to figure out exactly what I wanted to fill it with. As it was a ridiculously hot, I decided to opt for a cold, fresh strawberry pie. It uses only a few ingredient making it incredibly easy and yet still delicious!
– 1 3/4 Cup All-purpose Flour
– 1/2 Tsp. Salt
– 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
– 2 Tbsp. Water.
Strawberry Pie Filling:
– 1 1/2 Quarts of strawberries (6 cups)
– 1 Cup – White Sugar
– 3 Tbsp. Corn Starch
– 1/2 Cup – Water
– Mix together the salt and flour. Mix in the Oil and Water.
– Stir until it forms a soft dough.
– Spray your pie tin with non-stick cooking spray.
– Place the entire ball of dough in the middle of the pie tin and begin pushing it down. This will allow the dough to spread and eventually fill the entire tin. Feel free to crimp the edges.
– Bake at 400°F for around 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
– In a saucepan, add the Sugar, Corn Starch, water, and 1 Cup of crushed strawberries.
– Place over heat and continuously stir until it begins to boil and thicken. Let it cool completely.
– Place your strawberries (whole or sliced) into the cool pie crust.
– Gently pour the cooled strawberry mixture evenly over the strawberries.
– Allow to set completely in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
It is best served with some freshly whipped cream!
Thanks for visiting!